If you are not sure please, study level 2 of this Unit and read Lesson 50.
In this class we are going to learn the Past Perfect, trying to differentiate it from the Past Tense, Present Perfect and the Present Perfect Continuous.
1) Let's start by watching some videos about the Past Perfect. Please, pay attention to the examples, and try to learn them by heart.
Video 2 (Past Perfect vs Past Tense)
Video 4 (Past Perfect vs Past Tense)
Video 5 (a song using Perfect Tenses) Try to sing along.
2) Let's practice!
Past perfect or simple past
Simple past or past perfect
Simple Past / Present Perfect / Past Perfect
Past Perfect / Past Perfect Continuous
Present Perfect / Past Perfect/Present Perfect Continuous / Past Perfect Continuous
Past perfect simple
Interactives exercises with the Past Perfect:
3) Use the sentences from the above exercises to practice with your language exchange. Remember: If you don't have a language exchange (or a teacher) you're wasting your time, you'll never learn to speak English.
4) Let's learn some vocabulary. Try to learn at least 10 proverbs from this list.
5) Listen and read this story. You should learn all the vocabulary and practice pronunciation. And, for the most daring, read this article from The Economist.
6) Finally, write a story of about 200/250 words using sentences in the Past Tense, Present Perfect, Present Perfect Continuous and Past Perfect. Suggestion: Ask your language exchange to write a similar story in Spanish and then correct each other's writings. You can use examples from the videos and exercises above.