Sense verbs (hear, feel, listen to, see, watch, notice, smell, taste and sense) are used to describe perceptions, thoughts and personal opinions about things. They can be followed by either an “object + ing form” or an “object + infinitive (without to)” depending whether the action described is in progress (or repeated) or complete, respectively.
1) Pay attention to the examples featured in this video:
2) Now, let’s read some theory in English here
3) Translate the following sentences into English:
- Escuché a alguien tocar aquella la vieja canción (pero no desde el principio al final, sino solo un fragmento)
- Oí a aquel hombre pidiendo ayuda a gritos (en varias ocasiones, no solo una vez)
- Vimos a nuestro hijo saltar sobre la cama (una sola vez)
- La vimos cruzar la calle (de una acera a la otra)
- Escuché a la banda tocar su mayor éxito (desde el principio al final)
- Otro hombre se dio cuenta de que (él) estaba sacando fotos desde detrás de un árbol.
4) Use the sentences from the above exercises and videos to practice with your language exchange. Haven't you found a language exchange yet? You should do it right now! Go to Shared Talk and Polyglot Learn Language. Come on!
5) Listening: watch this video and then do the quiz. Choose the best answer for each question.
6) Time to learn some new vocabulary:
Miscellaneous vocabulary - 1
Miscellaneous vocabulary - 2
Remember: Always use Howjsay to hear how the new words are pronounced.
7) Listen and read this story. You should learn all the vocabulary and practice pronunciation. And, for the most daring, read this article from The Economist.
8) Finally, write a story of about 200/250 words using the structures you have learnt in this unit. Suggestion: Ask your language exchange to write a similar story in Spanish and then correct each other's writings. You can use examples from the videos and exercises above.
If you have done all the exercises, then you've scored a 10! Well done!
Key to exercise 3:
- I heard someone playing that old song
- I heard that man shouting for help.
- We saw our son jump on the bed
- We saw her cross the street.
- I heard the band play their major hit.
- Another man noticed him taking pictures from behind a tree.
Next unit Imprimir