This time, our weekly lesson will be devoted to the study of the so-called “clauses of purpose”, which are used to show the motivation for some action.
1) First of all, let’s have a look at these videos:
Meanings of the preposition, particle and adverb "to".
Meanings of the preposition “for”.
2) Both “in order to” and “so as to” convey exactly the same meaning than “to” when expressing purpose. Read some theory about the use of these expressions in Spanish and English
3) Let’s practice!
4) Translate the following sentences into English:
a) Los láser YAG se utilizan fundamentalmente para cortar metal y cerámica.
b) Le di un mapa a Tom para que pudiera encontrar el camino hacia mi casa.
c) Para reducir nuestra deuda nacional a largo plazo, debemos reabastecer el motor de nuestra economía.
d) Para no perder dinero, debes conocer exactamente el valor de tus propiedades.
e) La mayor parte de la gente que vende su coche lo mantiene en buenas condiciones para conseguir un buen precio de reventa.
5) Now it's your duty to practice with your language exchange. Use sentences like those you have just learned. Remember: Make sentences and repeat them aloud.
6) Let's learn some vocabulary here. Remember: Listen and repeat. Look the words up in a dictionary when necessary. Once you have finished, don’t forget to do this quiz.
7) Listen and read this story. You should learn all the vocabulary and practice pronunciation. And, for the most daring, read this article from The Economist.
8) Finally, write a story of about 200/250 words using sentences like those we have reviewed in this unit. You can use examples from the videos and exercises above.
If you have done all these exercises, then you've scored a 10! Well done!
Key to exercise 4:
a) YAG lasers are primarily used for cutting metals and ceramics.
b) I gave Tom a map so that he could find the way to my house.
c) In order to reduce our long-term national debt we must refuel the engine of our economy.
d) In order not to lose money, you must know exactly what your property is worth.
e) Most of the people who sell their car keep them in good condition so as to get a good resale price. Imprimir